Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rainfall and water tanks

While visiting my host family earlier this month, I noticed something about water tanks. There appears to be an inverse relationship between the amount of rainfall an area gets annually and the size of household water tanks (if they have one). Dry areas have massive tanks and wet areas have comparatively tiny ones. There's also an economic component, as most people cannot afford a water tank or the transportation to bring it to their home. I grossly generalized the relationship in this graph, but it might be something close to linear.

This is an obvious phenomenon, but it didn't occur to me until I left Nyota and went somewhere different. I think it's really important for me to travel around the region when I can to really understand the diversity of habitats, ecosystems, lifestyles, and conservation challenges that exist here. One size certainly doesn't fit all.

No comments: