Sunday, April 4, 2010

Host family

I'm visiting my host family from when I studied abroad with SFC. I saw my host mama because she came to the US for a conference a few years ago, but I haven't seen my host sisters in ages. One of them was just a baby when I was there! The three girls are now so big. The place where they live has also changed a lot since I was here last. As far as I can tell, and from what I've been told, it's mostly for the better. There are fewer children begging on the streets and the roads are much better, which is nothing to scoff at.

Let me just say, my host mom is awesome. She works for a women's health NGO and has moved up the ranks in her job from accounting to national director. She's going to school part-time. She is passionate about development work that allows poor people to earn an income for themselves, and has started numerous projects towards that end (mostly out of her own home). She also loves woodworking and designing furniture! I never knew. She also started a project in her home village to replant an area that has been devastated by tree cutting for charcoal burning (they never use charcoal in their house). She has big visions and so much drive. I adore her.

Her three daughters are also fantastic. They speak wonderful English, as well as 2 mother tongues and are studying another language at school. I brought them each a book, which was very difficult to pick out considering that I hardly know the girls now. The middle daughter finished her book (Smile, a graphic novel) within a day of my arrival. She wants to be a doctor and have her own hospital. The youngest wants to be a lawyer or teacher. The oldest doesn't know yet but loves social studies. These girls are the future of this country and of Africa. They give me hope.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. It’s really inspiring. Is it common for girls to go to school or do you think it is their mother’s influence? I’m really impressed by the mother. Bringing the girls books was a great idea and very thoughtful.

A Family Abroad said...

Best Easter news I've heard this year. Great mother; great girls; great future!