Sunday, April 11, 2010

Work work work work

Chip once mentioned to me that he likes his students to do field work abroad because they get more done. I have to admit that I rarely work this many hours per week (60-80) for weeks on end at home. It really is amazing what a lack of social outlets can do to your work habits. When I'm not in the field, I'm mostly keeping up with email (more or less), prepping for the field, writing for or thinking about different projects, reading papers, or sleeping. I kind of like the lack of distractions. I'm living alone, so I'm free to be as boring as I want and I don't have to worry about what anyone else thinks about me sitting at my computer for 4 hours straight.

What do I do for fun? I listen to podcasts when I'm doing things around the house or mindless field work prep. Sometimes I visit with the guards or the neighbors. One of the guards thinks everything I say in Ukenzagapese is hilarious, but in a good way I think. I like him. I've done a little bit reading for fun, but I haven't even read blogs in weeks (with the exception of Eugenie and Jax's blogs to see if they've been accepted to grad school!). This is highly unusual for me but might also explain why I have been getting so much work done. Unread posts as of 5 days ago (the last time I updated them) = 561. 

I don't mind working these 10-12 hour days 6+ days per week for a while, but I am not going to work this many hours when I get home. I'm looking forward to working 9ish-5ish and spending my evenings with my husband and houseplants, playing games and watching movies. I can't wait. I'll be home in less than a month.

No comments: