Wednesday, May 13, 2009

packing, logistics, and insurance

This trip requires a bit more logistical legwork than my scouting trip required last year.

First of all, I'm bringing a lot more stuff. Last year I think I only had 45 pounds total, and I think this year I might have 45 pounds of books and paper alone. I really have no idea yet since I'm still waiting on some of my equipment.

Bringing all of this equipment isn't without risk. I contacted the insurance agent who handles our renters insurance policy and I was able to add everything except my computer. I can't insure my computer under our renters insurance because it technically belongs to UBC. Everything else, as long as it is 'mine' (no matter which grant funds were used to purchase it), are covered.

I also just bought travel health insurance for myself and Jon. My student health insurance would pay to evacuate me but does not cover any out-of-country medical expenses. Better safe than sorry. I used Multinational Underwriters for both of us. Their application process was simple and it was recommended by someone in Chip's lab who had the misfortune to have to use her travel insurance a few years ago.

Thankfully, I'm not going to have to handle all of this equipment alone. Someone from the local university will meet me at the airport so that I can drop off most of the equipment there in a safe place. I'll have to spend at least a few days in the city to get my paperwork sorted, and then my two local field assistants will come meet me in the city to help me get everything out to my field site. It will be such a relief to have them with me while I travel with all the equipment.

Two days until I leave. Tonight Jon and I are hosting a visiting scientist and tomorrow my interdisciplinary cohort is meeting with him all day. I'd better get a move on.

No comments: