Friday, March 28, 2008

Another day passes...

... and still no word from NSF. This is driving me nuts. Every time I get an email I think, "Ok, this could be it!" and it's something from Facebook or Barack Obama. I doubt they'll send out notifications over the weekend, so I'll put the butterflies in my stomach on hold until Monday morning when I open up my laptop and anxiously scan my inbox.

I had a very productive day today. Last night before falling asleep I finished the major revisions for my permits and send them to Sam. He suggested only minor revisions which I'll finish over the weekend. The hardest writing for that is over. My big task of the day was to get an eye exam. I hadn't been to the eye doctor in 3 or 4 years, and I desperately needed more contacts. The eye doctor was great (another young, handsome, charismatic doctor) and my eyes are fine in spite of the fact that I wore the same pair of two-week disposable contacts for, um, like 12 months. He said I shouldn't really do that though (duh).

On my way home I had to run a few errands. I left my cell phone in my hospital bed when we checked out on Sunday and so I had to get a new phone. We ordered it used on Amazon on Monday and it came today before I left for my appointment, so I stopped on my way home to get a new SIM card. All of my errands worked out perfectly, especially the buses. I had great bus luck today. I took 6 buses today and hardly waited for any of them, especially the last 5.

When I got home I baked a cake for Jon's birthday and surprised him when he got home. I felt bad that we hadn't really had a celebration for his birthday with my appendectomy and all. My recovery is going excellently. I have no pain and only minor discomfort if I reach up high or bump my stomach. Walking to school next week is not going to be a problem (I'm not allowed to ride my bike until I get the ok in my follow up next Friday).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! I like your blog- it's inspiring me to make my own. I too am waiting to hear about the GRFP- I called last week and they said the notifications will go out this week. It's late becasue NSF still had yet to give the GRFP operations center the final approved list of awardees.
I'm getting my PhD in Geology. I'm 33 and a mom of 2 toddlers, so getting the NSF would be so great and make my life so much easier. My advisor doesn't have any $ for me yet so I've been TA-ing.
Anyhow, I wish you loads of luck!

Karina said...

Thanks for the update on the GRFP. Sounds like you're in a similar situation with your advisor and funding- but you've got more way more financial responsibility than me with those kids. Good luck to you too!

Unknown said...

ahaha. I'm sorry, I've been lurking your blog for a while, but I had to come out of the woodwork to comment on this:

Every time I get an email I think, "Ok, this could be it!" and it's something from Facebook or Barack Obama.

I feel your pain. I really do. I'm having some funding woes of my own right now, although it's all very indirect: the woes are actually those of my undergraduate research advisor. His grant exentsion got denied or something and he's appealing. He's waiting around to hear from NSF and I'm waiting around to hear from him to see if there will be anything for me to actually DO.

Every time I get an email, I perk up because I think it'll be my advisor, and every time it's an email from freakin' Barack Obama. That just made me laugh.

Karina said...

Good luck with your indirect funding woes, El! Stewgad wrote a hilarious post about her husband's Obama obsession.
http://prettyharddammit.blogspot.com/2008/02/obama-obsession.html