Sunday, February 22, 2009

take ugly pictures

Last week I spent a day working at the museum for a change of scene. While I was there, Leo introduced me to a visiting scientist who has similar research interests. He also used to be in charge of one of the organizations that funded me last year*. We chatted for a while about my research and possible funding sources. He said that taking photos was important for broadly publicizing my research and writing articles for general audiences. His parting words of advice were, "Take ugly pictures. Illegal fires, bushmeat, whatever you see. Make sure you document the bad stuff, too."

*He said funding rates are going to be much lower this year from that organization because it was all funded from endowment income, and their endowment tanked (not surprisingly). Ouch.

No comments: