On Friday I gave a presentation for our student-run seminar series. I signed myself up for this date at the beginning of the semester thinking that it would help me get my thoughts together and get feedback from other students about my prelim proposal before submitting it to my committee on Monday.
I made an outline for the presentation before I left school on Wednesday, worked on it almost all day Thursday, practiced it for Jon on Thursday night, made revisions on Friday morning, and then presented! I'm really pleased with how it went. I was calm, confident, articulate, and organized. I think I did a good job explaining the background for a diverse audience and explained my novel and somewhat complicated methods clearly. I even timed it well! The audience asked questions throughout and gave me a few new suggestions for things I hadn't considered. The only bad thing was that the projector made some of my images unclear.
Most importantly, the process of putting together the presentation helped me clarify my conceptual framework. I even came up with a new figure for my proposal to show what I plan to do and why. It's making the revision process for my proposal a little bit easier. Also, I'll be able to use many of the same slides for the presentation to my committee on March 9.
It's always nice to end the week on a high note... even if my weekend is full of revisions to my prelim proposal.