Sunday, February 1, 2009

I hate introductions

I've done all of the easy parts of my proposal (study system, preliminary data (none!), methods, etc) and now I'm writing the introduction. I've been working on it since 8:30 am (that's just today). I need to send this to Herb today. My committee was supposed to get it last Monday. I need to finish this.

I think I have a problem. I hate introductions. When it comes to the big picture, I have a very hard time figuring out what to say and the order in which to say it. This is has manifested itself in Herb's criticism of my last draft of my review, an earlier draft of my review, working on my review, and stages of writing my GRF proposal. I just can't seem to go from big picture to experimental focus very well.

mrswhatsit has been going through similar struggles recently. I almost feel like I could've written this post! ecogeofemme made a great comment on mrswhatsit's post about not "writing like your committee is in the room." I was definitely writing like they were in the room earlier this week (probably because they have to read it so soon!) but it doesn't help get the fingers going. I need to stop being so concerned about this coming out right the first time.

Maybe I'm just completely psyching myself out. Maybe I've convinced myself that I'm not good at this part of writing, so I sit down expecting to have problems and take forever and guess what? I have major organizational problems and I take forever. I don't think I'm a bad writer, I think I'm just a bad thinker. Herb seems to think that I "think clearly" but it certainly doesn't feel that way.

Before I resume working on my introduction, I'm going take a break and do the dishes. Yes, that's a break. AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1 comment:

S. said...

I was supposed to write my thesis Intro this weekend. Instead I scrubbed my kitchen from top to bottom.