Thursday, July 31, 2014

Professional development fund

For the first time in several years, I am not attending the big ecology meeting. I love going to ESA, so it's a bummer, but I've had several months to mentally prepare for not going.

September: Failed for the second year in a row to coordinate with colleague from a different institution about organizing a session on a topic of mutual interest. We both just had too much going on and not a clear enough vision. Oh well.

November: Still didn't have a job lined up, so prospects weren't looking good for getting funds to go. Also, the price goes way up when you aren't a student anymore!

December: Moved further away from meeting location.

January: Still no job so no new projects, nothing really worth presenting on from my dissertation.

February: Deadline came and went, and I decided I definitely wasn't going.

May: Late-breaking deadline, but still no real project to present on and no funds to help cover the cost, plus prospect of exciting job.

Then yesterday out of the blue, my boss mentions that everyone gets $1500 to spend each year on professional development, which could include attending a conference. WOO HOO!!!

But I'm still not going to ESA… this year. Next year I definitely plan to go, and I've got an idea for a workshop I want to organize.

Apparently I have to spend this money by the end of the year, so I'll probably attend a new conference that I've never been to before. This job is the best.

1 comment:

jaxzwolf said...

AHHH Your job sounds amazing! I'm so jealous!!!