Thursday, January 24, 2008

My plans to blog keep getting thwarted!

I meant to post every day this week and my plans just got foiled again and again. At least I was having fun. We have been playing a lot ofSettlers of Catan (with the expansion packs) thanks to my parents who got it for us for Christmas.

My second week of teaching went well. I'm so much less nervous this semester and I'm developing a good relationship with my students. I have two students from last semester (one in each section). I sent my new students an email with summer internship opportunities like I did last semester and the lab instructor was really impressed when I told him. The email was also an excuse to make sure I typed all of their email addresses correctly.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at Big Natural History Museum getting to know my critters as study skins. It is really cool to work with the collections but I don't like coming home smelling like naphthalene (moth balls). I stayed for happy hour at the museum and had some useful conversations with other researchers about ideas for African Field Site. I am so proud of how much more comfortable I am in talking about my research with other people. I can confidently say what I know what I don't know and I don't feel awkward about it.

Greatest non-academic discovery of the week: You can bulk-buy from Whole Foods! You get a 5% discount for buying by the case. I ordered cases of our most-used items that we'll pick up next week when we have visitors coming with a car :-)

Today when I woke up our apartment smelled like paint thinner and the smell hasn't gone away. In fact, it has gotten worse and it's giving me a headache. It's really disgusting. I think someone below us must using paint thinner. I can't imagine why they'd decide to do that in winter when they can't open the doors and windows for ventilation.

No comments: