Sunday, June 21, 2009

While I'm annoyed...

Let's talk about the fantastic disparity in internet connections
between Africa and the rest of the world.

Speed:
My max download rate here is about 7 KB/sec. At bad times I get less
than 1 KB/sec.

Cost:
I paid approximately $50 for 500 MB of bandwidth. This is MUCH better
than paying 30 cents per MB, which would be about $150 for 500 MB. I'm
hoping to stretch this 500 MB for two months.

To put this in perspective: the most recent Mac software update is
398.3 MB.

If there are 1000 KB per MB (it's actually something weird but I'm not
going to use the bandwidth to look it up right now), then assuming I
get about 5 KB/sec it takes me 3 minutes and 20 seconds to download 1
MB.

At this rate, it would take me approximately TWENTY-TWO HOURS to
download all of the software updates, assuming my connect isn't
terminated somewhere along the line.

How the heck do people get software updates here? I expect they don't.
I won't.

Gah. I'm going to sleep now. I think I need it.

No comments: