Friday, January 8, 2010

Submitted! and rejected.

I submitted my manuscript yesterday at noon, and then didn't even have a chance to blog about how happy I was to have it off my plate for a while because I had a rejection email when I woke up this morning! At least they were speedy about it. It was rejected by the editor- no reviews.

So, now we're working on finding another journal. We aimed pretty low already since it doesn't have any statistics (it's kind of anecdotal). We're trying to decide if we might be able to pitch it bit higher, but I'm skeptical. I'm looking for similar papers in that journal. I'd almost rather just send it straight to someplace more likely to accept it.

8 comments:

gigirose said...

oh, man. i feel your pain, that has totally happened to me. but i think you're right-- better to get a prompt 'NO'than to have to wait for months. And as to the question of where to aim for submissions, my advisor/co-author wanted to aim super high, and we slowly worked out way down the list, eventually landing (after MANY submissions) on the journal that was really most appropriate in the first place. However, after all of those submissions and reviews, we worked out every last kink & the manuscript is very well honed (silver lining)! Good Luck!

Unknown said...

Why did they reject it so quickly? Not the correct audience?

Karina said...

They said they "do not have space to publish this kind of research." I think it's a good fit for their audience and journal, but I guess they didn't think so. I think it's because there are no stats, so they think it should go to a lesser journal.

Transient Theorist said...

Are there no stats because there is insufficient data to perform statistics on, or just because the stats haven't been worked up...?

Karina said...

The manuscript is basically natural history observations. I'm going to email you the manuscript because it's hard to explain here in a meaningful way.

penn said...

bummer. I hope you find a better fit for you. Also, good that you got notice quickly so that you can keep looking.

Michelle Rodrigues said...

bah! that's frustrating. I feel your pain--I have a manuscript from my masters that's gone through two rejections, and its so hard to figure out where to go from there! However, a friend and I were able to successfully publish an anecdotal report (3 instances) of monkey tool use, despite having the same problem you had with the first submission... my advice is to submit is as a brief report in a journal that will publish those sorts of papers as brief reports. good luck!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Boo! Good luck finding another journal.