Saturday, January 16, 2010

Carbon offsets

The research that I have chose requires that I travel once or twice a year to Africa for field work. While I hope that the research I do will contribute to conservation of natural resources, I feel that it is also appropriate for me to offset the emissions resulting from my air travel. However, I am overwhelmed by the multitude of options for how to do so. I don't feel well-informed enough to evaluate different carbon offset schemes. Tackling this is one of my goals for 2010. So, dear readers, I ask for your advice.

Have you offset your carbon dioxide emissions? If so, how? Why did you choose that one?
Have you researched different options for carbon offsets? If so, what resources did you find most useful?

I am interested in anything you've got.

3 comments:

Eugenie said...

eek. I don't want to think about what my carbon emissions are... I may need to plant a whole freeking ecosystem soon.

Lets just say I'm a very frequent flyer....veeerrryyy frequent.....

Alexandra said...

Here is a link to the Nature Conservancy page on Carbon offsets.

http://www.nature.org/initiatives/climatechange/activities/art23932.html

Alexandra said...

Oops. I meant this link, though the other link may be more direct, I think this link is more interesting.

http://www.nature.org/initiatives/climatechange/activities/art23932.html