Tuesday, October 28, 2008

6 random things meme

I've been tagged by both Eugenie and Fia so I guess I'll do this.

The Rules
  • Link to the person who tagged you.
  • Post the rules on your blog.
  • Write 6 random things about yourself.
  • Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them.
  • Let each person you have tagged know by leaving a comment on their blog.
  • Let the tagger know when your entry has posted
Ok, let's see what comes out.
  1. My grandma told me when I was a little kid that I was going to be a scientist when I grew up. I guess I've been trying to fulfill the prophesy.
  2. Most of my extended family are conservative Christians and an unfortunately high number of them don't believe in evolution. An unfortunate number of them also live in swing states. God bless 'em. Thankfully, my parents are rational and reasonable.
  3. I've never plucked my eyebrows but I do wax my legs. I'm getting better at it.
  4. I didn't really want to come to Big City for grad school and I was kind of intimidated by the idea of it, but the decision was easy when I wasn't accepted at the other 5 schools I applied to! I definitely think this was the best place for me to be since it turns out we know a lot of people here, I like my advisors and program, and we can live car-free.
  5. Jon and I will have a Quaker-style wedding.
  6. I don't have an engagement ring and I would be appalled if Jon spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on a ring for me, especially a diamond. One of our friends will probably make our wedding rings.
Who can I tag that hasn't been tagged yet?
Paulina (what we don't know is A LOT)
Leah (penn)
EcoGeoFemme (The Happy Scientist)
Amused (amusings...)
Anne-Marie (pondering pikaia)
I think 5 will have to do.

5 comments:

Albatross said...

Does the Quaker wedding mean that you will have a self-uniting wedding? My husband and I wanted to do that but it wasn't an option in the state we ended up getting married in.

Unknown said...

Why are you against Jon getting you an engagement ring? Are you against all engagement rings? What about other jewelry? A couple at meeting that got married about 5 years ago got each other engagement rings, which I thought was great -- both the guy and the girl wore a ring. There are lots of guys I work with that are married and don't wear rings. I find it disconcerting.

Amie said...

Here you go :)

Julia said...

Engagement rings.. ach, they seem to be so romantic in movies, but in reality, I'd also rather have him the money than me the ring...

Karina said...

Albatross- We're not entirely sure yet if we'll have to, but our legal marriage certificate will probably be signed by an approved officiant who will be in attendance. Everyone present will sign the wedding certificate that we will hang in our home.

Alexandra- I'm not really into jewelry and I'm especially not into big diamonds. There are two scenarios under which I'd get an engagement ring:
1) if we both got them like your friends.
2) If we went digging for diamonds in Arkansas and found a diamond that we could have put in a ring for me. Jon doesn't want a diamond ring. He wanted to try making from glass from lightning-struck sand (a la xkcd), but I read about it online and it sounded too difficult.

I don't like the idea that a man has to prove his worth by shelling out for some expensive ring, or that I need it as some kind of social cue to how successful my fiance/husband is.

One ring is enough for me. We'll get matching wedding bands and hopefully one of our friends will be able to make them :-)