Thursday, September 18, 2008

being influential

I didn't blog about it at the time, but last spring I offered to take my students behind the scenes at Big Natural History Museum. About 6 or 7 of them took me up on the offer so I showed them around one afternoon and introduced them to a few other grad students who told them about the research they're doing.

On Wednesday I got an email from two of my students from last spring. They wanted to know if they could list me as a reference because they're interested in volunteering at BNHM! I'm so excited that they're thinking about museum work! I doubt they would've considered or pursued this possibility before the tour. I know that the first time I went behind the scenes at a big museum I was totally blown away and it definitely made me want to work in a place like that. I'm glad I was able to share of some of that excitement with my students.

No comments: