Thursday, January 17, 2008

Game theory is very cool and Chip is amazing

Wow, this is going to be an exciting semester! Today was the first game theory class. What fun! I am thrilled to be taking another class with Chip, because he is quite possibly the best teacher I have ever had. He is exceptionally good at explaining and illustrating concepts. I think this is possible from the clarity of thought and depth of understanding that comes with years of writing, talking, and thinking about the subject. But what is most exceptional about Chip is his unflagging enthusiasm and energy. I have never so much as nodded off for a second in class with him yet but I typically have classroom narcolepsy.

These first few weeks will be lectures to provide a foundation in game theory concepts, but for most of the semester we'll be working on our own projects modeling evolutionary games. I'm not sure if I'll take Chip's suggestion for a readily publishable project or collaborate with a post-doc who has similar research interests to mine. I have a lot of big decisions to make this semester. More on that soon, maybe later tonight!

No comments: