Monday, November 9, 2009

Business cards

This morning I ordered 100 business cards for myself. My university is printing them and billing my student account. One of my peers just told me about this service. It makes the whole process a lot easier because there are fewer decisions for me to make.

I never think about having business cards until I'm at a conference or something, and then it occurs to me that they might be useful. So, soon I'll have some. Do any of my grad student readers have business cards, or did you when you were a student?

4 comments:

Transient Theorist said...

I don't have any, but I've been at conferences and gotten a few here and there from professors and such. It's probably a good idea, although these days it's almost as easy to just pull someone's contact info from their academic website.

Michelle Rodrigues said...

I think business cards are a good idea--I don't have any, but I have been asked for mine at a previous conference. It definitely would have been more professional if I'd had a card to give, instead of my usual method of writing my email address (usually in colored pen) on a random piece of paper... I should definitely get them printed off before I go to the next big conference....

EcoGeoFemme said...

I ordered some from Staples a while back, but they got lost in the UPS-doesn't-like-to-deliver-to-apartment-buildings black hole, and I never had the order replaced. I keep meaning to. Now that I'm about the graduate, I think I'll wait to see where I go since my information will probably change.

Karina said...

You know what I forgot to mention when I posted about my blah day? The university emailed me and said they aren't actually set up to print cards for students at UBC so my order was canceled. They told me to try a different office. How annoying, considering that they seemed to give me the option on their site.