Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cautious optimism

On Monday I was told that I'll be able to pick up one of my necessary permits on Wednesday. That would be great, as the other permits depend on this one. Fingers crossed.

In other news, my university continues to amaze me with its fantastically awful money management. I didn't get paid this month. I'm transitioning from one funding source to another this month, and it's not really happening on the accounting end. An 'emergency' payment was supposedly made, but it hasn't reached my account yet and the shit is going to hit the fan in a few days when our exorbitantly high electricity bill will be automatically deducted. Now including my paycheck, I'm waiting for more than $5,000 from the university. All of these payments have been (or in the case of my paycheck, should have been) in the works for at least 3 weeks. I'm making it work, for now, but what a pain in the ass.

Here's hoping that on Wednesday I have a permit and $5000 more in my account.

2 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

That's terrible! If you are due that much money, it must mean you have prepaid that much from your pocket, right? What grad student can afford that?

Good luck with the money and the permits!

African Fieldworker said...

wow, do you go to my university and work in my East African country? ;~) (from your description, not my university, but possibly my country!). My permits took forever cause I bring back samples and the procedure had changed. (Sometimes, I think I should blog all this, but I'd never be able to stay anonymous if I actually wrote about anything I'd want to!). It really helped that my advisor has worked here for years (so I had a couple contacts and people had a clue who I was).

Good luck with everything!