How do people finishing grad school get postdocs? Here are ways that happens of which I am aware.
1. They see an announcement and apply.
2. Their advisor (or perhaps a committee member) is able to keep them on as a postdoc.
3. Their advisor actively works their network of people to get them a postdoc.
4. They identify someone they want to work with and write a grant for their postdoc.
5. They get a fellowship that gives them more flexibility than writing a grant for a specific project.
Obviously these aren't hard and fast, but are there any major avenues from PhD to postdoc that I'm missing? What path did you take (if applicable)? What do you think is most common in your department/discipline?