Monday, October 22, 2007

Microform

I requested a 25 year old thesis from Scotland on interlibrary loan. It happens to contain heaps of information that would be really helpful for my NSF GRFP application and my research in general. I wasn't sure they were going to be able to find it at all, so I was thrilled to receive notification that it's at the library waiting to be picked up in less than a week.

My excitement withered when the guy at the library handed me a little box with a roll of microform. Today was the first time in my life I've ever used microform. Wow, what an outdated inferior technology. There are two main problems with microform:

1) I can't curl up in bed with it because I have to use a microform reader at the library to read it.
2) It's hard to read because the screen displays a negative image of the original text (black is white and white is black).

I do have the option of printing it- one page at a time, single sided- for 8 cents per page. At 200+ pages, that's about $16 and several hours of my time. Does anyone know of a company that specializes in printing things from microform?

No comments: