Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I can't get the funk off of my Chacos


This might not seem like a relevant topic for my blog, but these sandals have carried me all over the world in the past five years and I wear them almost every day. They get really stinky and then I wash them. Sometimes I wash them in a pillowcase in a washing machine, sometimes I scrub them by hand in the sink, and sometimes I take them in the shower with me. Recently I've been unable to remove a spot on the outside edge of each sandal. At first I thought I just wasn't trying hard enough. So last night I took them in the shower and really scrubbed them. As they started to dry these spots (labeled as "funk" in the picture) started to appear again even though I cleaned them as best I could. I tried putting hydrogen peroxide on them in case it was a very persistent colony of bacteria or something.

Have you ever tried putting hydrogen peroxide on your sandals? My sandals fizzed EVERYWHERE! I hope it was destroying my dead skin cells and the bacteria persisting in the cracks rather than the footbeds. But I still can't scrub those spots off! I'm not sure what's going on. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as my feet aren't terribly offensive or infected with some kind of nastiness. Still, I'm intrigued and annoyed by the spots that won't go away.

No comments: