Friday, October 23, 2009

Would you like your dream job?

I came to grad school with the goal of teaching and leading foreign study programs at a liberal arts school like the one I attended. I'm visiting Small Friendly College this weekend and just had a meeting with one of my professors. She suggested I co-lead a program to Ukenzagapia in 2011! This is so exciting! It sounds like they'll open applications for the position sometime in the next few months.

I also talked to her about meeting up with her students when she's there next year. If the timing works out, she wants to bring the students to Nyota for some kind of field project. What could I do with them that would provide useful data for my project? Or any project? What would I do with a whole semester of students in Ukenzagapia?

Is this what I want to do when I finish my Ph.D.? Doing it before I finish might be a great way to find out. How would this affect my research? How does it fit with my goals? Wait, what are my goals?

I've got a lot to think about.

2 comments:

Albatross said...

Whew! I'm finally caught up! Congrats- this sounds like an amazing opportunity! It is interesting to think about what you want to do when you graduate, just don't be too rigid in your decisions. I thought I knew and it turns out- when faced with the job market- I don't. Another friend is a senior postdoc and also is still unsure even when faced with job offers!

Unknown said...

Sounds totally awesome! I know someone else who is doing something like that. I say go for it. There doesn't sounds like a better opportunity.